Here, in no particular order, are things that I would love to do. There is nothing I must do.
Each day I will randomly choose something and share my progress with you.
Perhaps, you will feel compelled to create your own list? You might decide to start with just 10 things. If you make a list, please share it with me on Facebook. I’d love to see what you’re up to. On Instagram, share your progress with the hashtag, #365toalive.
1. Stay in a bed and breakfast.
2. Go glamping.
3. Buy a floral dress.
4. Ride my bike by the beach.
5. Learn photoshop.
6. Plant an herb garden.
Attend a cat or dog show.
8. Learn to play guitar.
9. Enjoy four Afternoon tea excursions.
– Ye Olde King’s Head
– High Tea Cottage
10. Attend four photography lectures.
-Joel Sartore at Annenberg.
–Beth Wald at Annenberg
-Canon tips and tricks- Creative Photo Academy
-Sebastiao Salgado at the Arlington theater, Santa Barbara
11. Attend ten museum exhibits.
-Guo Pei’s Great Queen Gown at the Bowers Museum
-Frans Lanting at the Annenberg
– Four Centuries of Pueblo Pottery, Southwest Museum
– Frank Gehry exhibit, LACMA
– Two Views: Photographs by Ansel Adams & Leonard Frank at the Japanese American Museum
12. Read ten novels.
– China Dolls by Lisa See
13. Find 2 poems I adore and memorize them.
-Wild Geese by Mary Oliver
-The Journey- Geneen Marie Haugen
14. Watch one Annenberg Iris Series lecture each week.
-Corey Arnold, Fish Work
–Brian Derballa, Photography in the Instagram age
-Olivia Bee, Making Art you Want to Make
-Andrew Southam, The Half Life of Beauty
– Alison Wright- Face to Face, Portraits of the Human Spirit
– Joel Sartore- Inside Iris Nights
– Morgan Heim, Fearless Acts
– Monica Nouwens, Leftovers
– Charles Annenberg Weingarten, Never Stop Learning
– Paul Colangelo, Voices from the Wild
– Ted Hyman, The Future of Architecture: Restorative, Sustainable, NetZero
– Amber Grey- The Alchemy of Inspiration
– Susan Gottlieb and Scott Logan, A California Love Story- Gardening for Wildlife
– Penny De Los Santos, TED talk
– Tony Greaves: Radical Love
– Ami Vitale: My Eyes, Your World
15. Play mini golf.
16. Attend a cooking class.
17. Start a new collection and add to it monthly.
18. Visit six notable gardens.
– Descanso Gardens
– Los Angeles Arboretum
19. Watch four old black and white movies & take film inspired photos.
20. Go on a picnic.
21. Try a new restaurant each week.
-The Tuning Fork
-The Good Girl Dinette
-Chelsea Chowder House, Queen Mary
-El Paseo, at Olvera Street
-Santa Monica Seafood Cafe
-Carlitos Cafe y Cantina
22. Throw a snowball.
23. See the Rose Parade.
24. Attend a tree lighting ceremony.
25. Host 4 dinner parties.
26. Bake a Pullman loaf.
27. Go to the horse races.
28. River raft.
29. Learn to paint with watercolors.
30. Go fishing.
31. Go to a county fair.
32. Attend 3 food festivals.
33. Take a train trip.
34. Walk across a bridge.
35. Attend 3 musical performances.
36. Attend 2 live sporting events.
37. See white pelicans.
38. Make popovers.
39. Go to dim sum.
40. See the sun rise.
41. Watch a sunset.
42. Visit a farm.
43. Buy a red plaid thermos and fill it with something good.
44. Plant a tree.
45. Orchestrate a honey tasting.
46. Attend a ballet.
47. Learn to play a song on the piano.
48. Go to a film festival.
49. See the Blessing of the Animals.
50. Cook dinner at a park.
52. Attend the Pasadena Showcase House.
53. Go apple picking.
54. Have a rose petal bath and a split of champagne.
55. Buy a record player and some records.
56. Learn felting.
55. Do a paper craft.
57. Make a beautiful floral arrangement.
58. Make bath bombs.
59. Make home made ice cream sandwiches.
61. Have 3 massages.
62. See 3 art house films.
– Son of Saul
63. See 3 documentaries.
– Finding Vivian Maier
– The Act of Killing & The Sound of Silence
– City of Gold
64. Make a birthday cake.
65. Attend a fashion show.
66. Visit 8 fabulous boutiques.
– Maison Midi
– Lavender Blue
67. Make ice cream.
68. Make marmalade.
69. See fireworks.
70. Buy pumpkins, carve one.
71. Skip stones.
72. Make Chinese dumplings.
73. Make a quiche.
74. Decorate Easter eggs.
75. Photograph a stranger’s life.
76. Pan fry trout.
77. See wildflowers.
78. Sing to a baby.
79. Make buckwheat pancakes.
82. Make gumbo.
83. Learn to make 6 new cocktails, 3 hot, 3 cold.
-hot- Cinnamon Chile Bourbon Hot Toddy
-Bourbon Blood Orange Spicy Sweets
84. Try a new perfume.
85. Attend a bluegrass festival.
86. Ride a ferris wheel.
87. Go to the horse races.
88. Make split pea soup.
89. Make a blueberry buckle.
90. Say yes to three social invitations that I’d prefer to decline.
– Painting Party at Sagebrush Cantina
91. Make flavored vinegars.
92. Learn the names of five local bird species.
-Long Eared Owl
-Great Blue Heron
-Black-Crowned Night Heron
93. Buy scented geraniums.
94. Go to a rodeo.
95. Go to a flea market.
96. Buy a pair of vintage earrings.
97. Read 5 non-fiction books.
-Find a Way, Diana Nyad
-This is the Story of a Happy Marriage, Ann Patchett
98. Fly a kite.
99. Try a Fritzi hotdog.
100. Roast marshmallows by a campfire.
102. Write a short story.
103. Try a new bourbon.
-Jefferson’s Reserve at Craft
104. Make a succulent arrangement.
105. Make limoncello.
106. Buy a fuschia.
107. Make queso fundido
108. Buy a large bouquet of sweet peas.
109. Visit a ship.
110. Go to a book signing.
111. Make someone breakfast in bed.
112. Learn a card game.
113. Burn some incense.
114. Buy a compass.
115. Make sopaipillas.
116. Do a jigsaw puzzle.
117. Wear a costume.
118. Try bulletproof coffee.
119. Attempt a new recipe each week.
-Hoppin’ John by Sean Brock
-Bacon Bourbon Butterscotch Popcorn by Morgan Murphy/Leite’s Culinaria
-Roast Magret Duck Breasts with Shaved Black Truffles by Epicurious
– Hungarian Potato Soup by Venturists
– Preserved Lemons from Williams-Sonoma
– Make lemon curd
– Pork Dumplings from Amy Tan/Grace Young
– Blueberry Buckle by Lee Bailey
120. Attend a culinary event.
121. Do something with red currants.
122. Buy tomato plants at Tomatomania.
123. Make aebelskivers.
124. Master a vegetable garnish.
125. Take a silhouette photo.
126. Try to win a blue ribbon at the fair.
127. Perform a weekly random act of kindness.
-Gave away two theater tickets
-Hot wassail to cold painter
-Gave ride to stranger
-Donated to stranger’s gofund me page
-Gave money to Charles from Memphis, Tennessee
-Helped ladies to get our table in crowded restaurant
-Had a nice visit with an elderly stranger
-Gave girl at Firehouse Restaurant money for a sandwich
-Hold place in line for girls at Da Poetry Lounge
-Send Elephant Videos to a friend who’s feeling down
128. Make caramel apples.
129. Make a wreath.
130. Make soap.
131. Take a yoga class.
132. Ride a horse.
133. Burn an oil lamp.
134. Visit three wineries.
135. Go bowling.
136. Embroider something.
137. Visit flower fields.
138. Attend a Renaissance Faire.
139. Buy a world map.
140. Make fondue.
141. Wear something velvet.
142. Make homemade sodas.
143. Go on an architectural tour.
144. Visit a bird sanctuary.
145. Attend a kite festival.
146. Go to the Olvera Street Blessing of the Animals.
147. Go on a holiday home tour.
148. Take a tour of the Walt Disney Concert Hall.
149. Visit 5 historic homes.
-Charles Lummis Home
– Sam Maloof Home
– Gamble House
– Eames House
150. Make crème brulee.
151. Go to a jazz club.
152. Attend a poetry reading.
153. Make a gingerbread house.
154. Read a photographer’s biography.
-Alison Wright, Learning to Breathe
155. Go to hear blues.
156. Visit three art galleries.
– Merry Karnowsky Gallery
– Galeria Bellas Artes
157. Go to Cicada to hear swing band and see dancers.
158. Learn all the words to the national anthem.
159. Attend a flower show.
160. Make a pot of tea and watch Enchanted April.
161. Try Nancy Silverton’s ice creams.
162. Tasting day at the Original Farmer’s Market.
163. Do a run/walk 5k.
164. Make peanut butter cookies.
165. Frame something.
166. Watch 12th Night and Make Wassail
167. Buy 10 cookbooks.
-Heritage by Sean Brock
-Tacos, Recipes and Provocations by Alex Stupak and Jordana Rothman
-The Picnic by Marnie Harnel, Andrea Slonecker, and Jen Stevenson
168. Give 10 cookbooks away.
169. Buy a silk scarf.
170. Play Parcheesi.
171. Make a Valentine’s Day treat.
172. Extravagantly wrap a gift.
173. Make hand pies.
174. Go to a drive-in.
175. See an old friend.
176. Attend Pageant of the Masters/Festival of Arts.
177. Do something Irish on St. Patrick’s Day.
178. Stay at a ranch or farm.
179. Make a pretty sewing basket.
180. Go on a scavenger hunt.
181. Play a practical joke.
182. Visit an antique or collectibles mall.
183. Have a facial.
184. Make bourbon popcorn.
185. Sketch something.
186. Buy a piece of handmade jewelry.
187. Buy fancy chocolates.
188. Fill the house with lilacs.
189. Make cherry clafouti.
190. Hang paper lanterns in the patio.
191. Get a spa pedicure.
192. Buy a straw bag and sandals.
193. Feed wild birds.
194. Discover a new app.
– The List App
195. Attend midnight mass.
196. Visit an independent bookstore.
197. Buy a pretty magnifying glass.
198. Eat strawberry shortcake.
199. Read a ghost story by flashlight.
200. Make a kokobana.
201. Force bulbs.
202. Experiment with an updo.
203. Play with kittens.
204. Make candy.
205. Make a new friend.
206. Buy a specialty magazine from a newsstand.
207. Surprise someone.
208. Scare someone.
209. Eat Little John’s toffee.
210. Publish something.
211. Listen to a weekly podcast.
-Sean Brock discussing Hoppin’ John
-A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Woman
-Good Food w/Evan Kleiman
-Elizabeth Gilbert Magic Lessons, episode #6
– Fugitive Stories by The Kitchen Sisters. Route 66: The Mother Road, episodes 1 & 2
– The Moth: Three Chefs and a meal
– Chewing, Premiere Episode: Coming Out
– Unfictional: “Don’t Judge Me: Stories of Bad Decisions, Dark Sides, and Guilty Pleasures.”
– Serial by Sarah Koenig and This American Life
– Heating it Up by Cheryl Alters Jamison
212. Sharpen all my knives and those of a dull friend.
213. Make a jelly roll.
214. Make pupusas.
215. Take a hayride.
216. Buy New Mexico chile in season.
217. Buy red shoes.
218. Buy something pink and precious.
219. Photograph a wild animal in its natural habitat.
220. Make paté.
221. Make a flambéed dessert.
222. Sing the national anthem.
223. Make a roscon de reyes.
224. Send an anonymous gift.
225. Have a family portrait taken.
226. Take an aunt to lunch.
227. Make tamales.
228. Buy a beautiful nightgown.
230. Watch my wedding video.
231. Plant some succulents.
232. Drink wine in the Jacuzzi in the moonlight.
233. Visit an observatory.
234. Write a fan letter.
235. Eat truffles.
236. Wade through a creek.
237. Buy a stylish key ring.
238. Have a drink on a rooftop bar.
239. See Greek dancers.
240. Tiptoe through the tulips.
241. Buy pretty paper guest towels.
242. Invite someone over for pie.
243. Buy fun pencils.
244. Visit a movie set.
245. Cross a border.
246. Buy a fun umbrella.
247. Put up summer produce.
248. Play chess.
249. Walk someone’s dog.
250. Go on a nature walk.
251. Build a fire.
252. Attend a wine or spirits dinner.
253. Master a bar trick.
254. Add ladybugs to the garden.
255. Make a stromboli.
256. Sell something.
257. Teach someone how to do something.
258. Shake the hand of a celebrity.
259. Learn a pretty napkin fold.
260. Get a tarot reading.
261. Collect eggs from a hen house.
262. Smoke meat, cheese, or fish.
263. Attend a factory tour.
264. Make a jell-o mold.
265. Write a haiku.
266. Host a white elephant.
267. Throw a pot.
268. Knit something.
270. Decorate sugar cookies.
271. Attend a non-Catholic religious service or event.
272. Make a nice lunch for a homeless person.
273. Find a geo cache.
274. Watch the Academy Awards.
275. Name my car.
276. Make confetti eggs.
277. Decorate my car for the holidays.
279. Visit a zoo.
280. Sprout some seeds.
281. Beat someone at ping pong.
282. Play a game of darts.
283. Eat a snow cone.
284. Deliver baked goods to a fire station.
285. Make smoothies.
286. Celebrate Bastille Day with something or someone French.
287. Make Sugar Skulls for Day of the Dead.
288. Attend the Ramona pageant.
289. Jump ocean waves.
290. Get an unusual manicure.
291. Make lemon curd.
292. Apply feng shui principles to something in my life.
293. Witness a contest.
294. Try 12 new teas.
– Kusmi Strawberry Green Tea
– Kusmi Rose Green Tea
– Kusmi Ginger-Lemon Green Tea
295. Sew something.
296. Play a game of Scrabble.
297. Photograph a flowering tree.
298. Buy a comic book and read it.
299. Buy a balloon bouquet.
300. Try 3 new cuisines.
301. Paddle a canoe or kayak.
302. Barter for something.
303. Swing in a hammock.
304. Attend a bingo night.
305. Attend a polo match.
306. Buy a tagine and cook in it.
307. Make preserved lemons.
308. Take a culinary tour.
309. Visit a cool donut shop.
310. Visit a dubious landmark.
311. Visit a food truck.
312. Order a Manhattan in a piano bar.
313. Tour a lighthouse.
314. Bike a path near a river
315. Visit a second hand bookstore.
316. See a waterfall.
317. Eat oysters.
318. Take three hikes.
319. Buy a scented candle.
320. Visit 3 great nurseries.
– Cactus Center
321. Eat Mt. Tam atop Mount Tam.
323. Subject myself to an alternative healing practice.
324. Haggle the price of something.
325. Take a dip in a hot spring.
326. Build a sandcastle.
327. Attend 2016 Cookie-Con.
328. Attend a boat parade.
329. Go see petroglyphs.
330. Buy 12 new CDs.
– Gabrielle Papillon, The Tempest of Old
– Imbarca, Barcelona Gipsy Klezmer Orchestra
– Adele 25
331. Play horseshoes.
332. Visit an ethnic district.
333. Visit the childhood home of an author or artist.
334. Help a woman in another country with a microloan.
335. Use my cookie press.
336. Make pasta.
337. Make mozzarella cheese.
338. Make homemade marshmallows.
339. Try a new item from the Zingerman’s catalog.
340. Pressure cook something.
341. Buy a parasol.
342. See a play.
-Jane Eyre at the Barclay
343. Play backgammon.
344. Go off-roading.
345. Attend an Oktoberfest event.
346. Read a book about history.
347. Attend a boys’ choir concert.
348. See a production of a Christmas Carol or the Nutcracker.
349. Buy new sunglasses.
350. Use a sugar scrub.
351. Experiment with finishing salts.
352. Learn a prayer.
353. Try Stonewall Kitchen’s Major Grey’ Chutney.
354. Make a summer music playlist.
355. Buy a fashion ring.
356. Attend a cooking demonstration.
357. Solve a riddle.
358. Visit tide pools.
359. Get a spa treatment.
360. Attend an ethnic festival.
361. Buy a cool phone case.
362. Make Mexican Hot Chocolate.
363. Watch a Ken Burn’s series.
364. Make a checkerboard cake.
365. Do a weekly photo shoot.
-Visit a zoo
– Scots Festival- Queen Mary
-Free Flight Bird Sanctuary
-Frank Gehry Exhibit & LACMA
– Carlsbad Flower Fields
– Descanso Gardens
– Photo Workshop with Penny De Los Santos
– Food shoot